From on the ground, where farmers are getting better crop yields, to outer space, where the European Space Agency’s Earth Observation Analysis service is gaining insights into the probability of future wildfires, the SAP Cloud Platform is working behind the scenes, helping companies change lives for the better.
Using Intel processors, SAP’s cloud, big data, and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions are re-shaping businesses from the ground up.
Take, for example, Stara S/A Indústria de Implementos Agrícolas, a Brazilian manufacturer of farm equipment. It has evolved to provide “precision farming” solutions with sensors that help determine when and where seeds should be planted, saving farmers time and money.
Such digital transformations will be part of the focus at SAP TechEd 2017 Las Vegas, taking place September 25–29. We at Prowess Consulting, which produces content for both SAP and Intel, will be at the conference.
While 45 percent of businesses have implemented some form of digital transformation, the remaining 55 percent have not, according to the “SoftServe Digital Transformation Report 2017.”1
To maximize competitiveness and effectiveness, companies need top-performing solutions that support digital agility. The SAP HANA 2 platform, powered by Intel Xeon Scalable processors, not only provides that solution, but it can also help companies that have yet to launch their digital transformation (in a different way than the European Space Agency’s Earth Observation Analysis service).
The platform delivers the on-premises or in-the-cloud in-memory database and application-development capabilities customers have come to expect from the SAP HANA platform. It also offers new functionalities for continuous innovation, and it is designed for companies ready to not only embrace, but excel at, digital transformation.
The SAP HANA 2 platform lets businesses perform both online transaction processing (OLTP) and online analytical processing (OLAP) simultaneously on the same platform. Comparatively, traditional relational databases require different platforms for different processes, such as transactional databases, reporting databases, integration layers, and search, predictive, and web capabilities.
Storing all data in memory enables the SAP HANA 2 platform to run at fast speeds and removes the need to sum, index, and aggregate data, which can reduce the database footprint by up to 95 percent.
The SAP HANA 2 database also can be used as the underlying database for any number of SAP applications and other solutions. It also delivers concurrent real-time reporting and analysis.
The SAP HANA 2 platform adds a variety of enhancements to the SAP HANA platform’s capabilities, including those for database management, data management, analytics intelligence, and application development. That means the SAP HANA 2 solution empowers business to simultaneously build transformative applications and run mission-critical applications with a single platform.
Use of the newest, most powerful Intel processors provides another reason that the platform is a tailor-made solution for companies looking to catch up to, or outperform, their competitors.
Servers powered by Intel processors achieved world records in SAP benchmarks both in 2017 and in 2016. Performance for other vendor’s certified systems in SAP benchmarks didn’t come close to the performance with Intel systems, and other vendors’ systems have never achieved world records in these tests.
There was another record set, too: In August 2017, Lenovo delivered 6,578 queries per hour on the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 (with four processors, 112 cores, 224 threads), powered by an Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processor, on the SAP BW edition for SAP HANA (SAP BW/4HANA) Standard Application Benchmark. That result is up to 53.9 percent more than the previous Lenovo server’s record of 4,273 queries on the Intel Xeon processor E7 v4 family.
Intel Xeon Scalable processors can deliver these types of results because they are engineered with 50 percent more memory support for OLAP and OLTP workloads for the SAP HANA 2 platform compared to the Intel Xeon processor E7 v4 family.
They also have six times more system memory and more flexible configurations to better meet requirements for high-capacity, massive streaming workloads compared to the Intel Xeon processor E5 v2 family, launched in 2013.
If you’re ready for your company to make a digital transformation, you want to make a change that will not only help you succeed, but that will put you ahead of the pack to outperform your competitors in today’s digital economy. With Intel Xeon Scalable processors and the SAP HANA 2 platform, you can access data and development solutions that are maximized to fuel business innovations—and that can empower your business to be a digital disruptor.
1 SoftServe. “SoftServe Digital Transformation Report 2017.” 2017. www.softserveinc.com/en-us/our-work/softserve-digital-transformation-report-2017/.